Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ghosts

I cleaned out the kitchen cabinets this morning
and there in the back of the cabinet
behind the other cups and glasses
your cup sat, cracked and untouched
where you left it--

I threw it away.


I finally cleaned out the closet this afternoon
to pack up a lot of old stuff for charity
and there in the back behind the winter coats
I found your old letterman jacket
still in the plastic were you had it cleaned.

I gave it away.


I cleaned out my dresser tonight
and there under my lacy nighties and stockings,
my bras and panties
I found a letter-
a love letter you had written-
a few cherished promises you had given and I believed.

I burnt it in the ashtray.


Ghosts.
All ghosts.
They linger here to haunt me.
They dance in my head and taunt me.
They know if they stay long enough I'll conjure you up.
And that's no good for anyone.
So I'm exorcising them-
from my home,
from my head,
from my heart.
I am clean.
I am free.
And it's a brand new day.



No comments:

Post a Comment