Friday, October 3, 2014

Enough


Am I enough?


When you look at me what do you see?
Am I young enough?  Pretty enough?
Smart enough?  Rich enough? 

When you look at me do you see 
 The glow of youth long surrendered?
The shadows of childish endeavors?
Or do you see the battle scars;
The crevasses of time I wear on my face; my body? 

When you listen to me do you hear
The intelligence of my mind?
The wisdom and compassion of my years?
Or do you hear something different-
Unlike your mind, your thoughts?
Do you hear what you expect to hear?
Do you hear me at all?

When you speak to me do you
Speak with your whole heart?
With respect?  Equality?  Authenticity of being?
When you speak to me do you speak to me
As if I were important?
Or do you speak above me?  Down to me?  At me?

When you experience me do you 
Feel good about you? 
Do you feel safe?  Encouraged?  Valued?
Do I show you respect?  Compassion?  Love?


Though I may sometimes fall short 
I will always value you

And should you sometimes forget
Or get busy with living
I will forgive you as I forget too.

But never forget:
WE ARE ENOUGH




No comments:

Post a Comment