Friday, March 3, 2017

FUGLY





    Eyes-
         once illuminated, vivacious,
         smiling capriciously at the world,
         seeing eagles where only sparrows fly,
         watching the sunshine dance
         even on the grayest of days.
    Eyes-
         now dim, milky white and questioning.

    Ears-
         once alert taking in every snap,
         every crunch, every "what's that?" sound,
         once curiously listening to every
         dog bark and child laugh beyond the window,
         intently listening to my off-key singing
         as if I was Adele.
    Ears-
         now lay flat, clothed in quiet though
         straining to hear echoes from the past.

    Legs-
         that once chased squirrels up trees
         and birds that would never be caught,
         that once walked miles by my side
         through woods, fields, neighborhoods
         that once danced around the kitchen
         with me and the radio.
    Legs-
          now wobbly, weak, chasing imaginary foes only in dreams.

    Little furry body-
         once wagged ferociously at the sound
         of keys and leashes and the word "go",
         once barking in bouts of ecstasy at the
         sound of the can opener
         or stretched out across my bed and
         taking up more real-estate than myself,
         greeting me at the door and jumping around so much
         I could barely get through.
    Little furry body-
         so many stories to tell, so many miles traveled,
         so much life, so much love.

    Eyes, ears, legs, body-little dog
         my best dance partner
         my travel buddy
         my companion
         my joy.



This photo (baby Fugly)
Top photo (older Fugly)



No comments:

Post a Comment