Monday, October 31, 2011

The Walking Dead





The evening grew long as a chill settled in for the night.
My dogs and I ventured out for one last walk as dusk wrapped its
velvet arms around us.
I breathed deep
inhaling the spicy pines
and decaying leaves underfoot.
A hungry wind devoured what leaves were left clinging
helplessly to the trees.
I could hear voices echoing down the years
and whistling softly through naked branches.
The spoke of lives spent
from the ravages of time;
from loss, fear, self-doubt and loathing.
When death claims life it is final;
the pain is gone, the story done.
But for the living who know no comfort from their own loss,
who drown in their own pity
and live only in their memories
death does not come for them.
They are the walking dead
and are as real as the wind
picking his teeth with the tree branches.
They are shadows that cry in the night,
a hunger that can never be satisfied.
My dogs sniff the air as if anticipating
the arrival of some unforeseen entity.
The moon is full and heavy as though in its ninth month.
It hangs behind my house waiting for us to return.
So we do
and I close the door on the shadow world-
its hollow secrets-
and the walking dead.



3 comments:

  1. that is just beautiful miss katy... and i so know what you mean, the walking dead are everywhere, they exist in our realm but do not live :) i am choosing to live and for now that means afk... hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, finally I get to read some of your poetry. It is amazing! All around me, I see and feel these images. I can really relate to this poem. In fact, I was just having a conversation last night with my Mother directly related to the concept of this poem. I'll have to let her read it later on. Peace and Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But you don't get the door closed quick; as you find the walking dead dog is with you and wont leave.

    ReplyDelete